Monday, January 18, 2010

My Favorite Part of Winter!


Literally! This is what I get the most excited about when the weather starts getting cool and apple cider starts lining the shelves of the grocery store. My mother has made it since I can remember and it is one of my favorite things to smell in the house. I have a few friends that don't really enjoy cider and still drink this cup full after cup full! I have a carafe just for this with a basket for the spices and everything, but most people don't and you can still make this in a big pot on the stove. I have done so many variations of this recipe when I didn't have the exact ingredient handy that I will put them in parenthesis next to them "official" ingredient. Throw away those nasty apple cider packet mixes, this is the real thing!


Ingredients:

2 quarts of apple cider
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp whole allspice (I have used ground, but it is a little to potent)
1 cinnamon stick (I never have these on hand, so I always put in ground)
dash nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 orange cut into wedges (I have often used orange juice instead)
I combine all the ingredients into a cheesecloth, if I am making it in a pot on the stove so I can lift it all out easily and no one is drinking allspice berries. If you don't have cheesecloth, just ladle out the orange wedges and berries when you are ready to serve. I just let the cider warm over the stove for 15-30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment