Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Whole Wheat Bread

This is my favorite recipe for whole wheat bread. I make it all the time and have yet to have a bad loaf! I put all the ingredients in the breadmakCheck Spellinger so I do have to mix and knead and find a nice warm place for the bread to rise. I add 4 teaspoons of wheat gluten to the recipe and it keeps soft for days (plus provides a nutritional boost!).

2 1/2 tsp instant yeast dissolved in 2 TBS water
1 1/3 cup lukewarm water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey, molasses, or maple syrup
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup nonfat dried milk
1 1/4 tsp salt

Put all the ingredients in the breadmaker and put it on dough setting. After the dough has risen, bake the bread in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Then tent the bread with tin foil (don't skip this step!) and bake for another 20 minutes. Easy as that! I have always used molasses in this recipe, but you should be able to use honey or maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment