Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Chicken Curry


The gals back in Clearfield will be happy about this one. I have been telling them forever that I would give them this recipe, but I am lazy... What can I say? This is a recipe I grew up with and that my kids love. I think it is super easy and fast, but then again I've been making it since I could help mom in the kitchen.


3 TBS butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
3 TBS flour
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp ginger
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp lemon juice
2 cups cooked diced chicken (I just use chicken I've taken from leftover roast chicken.)


Melt butter and add onion and curry powder. Saute. Add flour, salt, sugar, and ginger. Slowly add milk and chicken broth. Cook until thickened and add lemon juice and chicken. Heat through. Serve over rice with 4 or 5 condiments: slivered almonds, chopped hard-boiled eggs, pineapple chunks, pickle relish, shredded coconut, raisins, bacon-bits, red onion, etc. (Now here is a disclaimer. I will put all these condiments on my curry and Blake thinks I am crazy and is happy putting nothing on top which is how my kids eat it as well. I didn't realize I was weird until I saw it from the outside, so by all means eat it sans condiments!)


For those of you who are are aware of Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld I adapted it to her philosophy (which is "hiding" pureed veggies in your kids food to make sure they get enough vitamins). I only use about 1 TBS butter and change the milk to 1/2 cup and a 1/2 cup cauliflower puree. Can't taste the difference and it packs a great nututional punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment