Monday, March 9, 2009

The Best Bread... EVER!

Ok, so I am a little biased. I have been making this bread for as long as I can remember. My mom would make it all the time and my family would make it in large quantities for the holidays and pass them out. It is delicious and you don't have to be a baking wizard to do it right the first time.

Carolyn's Onion Bread
1 TBS yeast
1 1/4 cup water
1 cup milk
3 TBS sugar
2 TBS oil
2 tsp salt
2 cups flour (plus more)
2 - 3 TBS dried minced onion
1 tsp dill seed
egg white
poppy seeds


Put the yeast in water, milk, and sugar together in a bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Add oil, salt, 2 cups flour, dried minced onion, and dill seed. Beat with hand mixer. Then add more flour and knead until it is slightly sticky (for about 5 minutes). Let rise. If you have a breadmaker, just use the dough setting and let it go. Shape into braids or loaves. Brush with egg white. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Let rise. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. This recipe may be doubled.

1 comment:

  1. ahhhhhh...the famous Bartholomew Bread!!!! I have had this too many times to count! I guess it's time for ME to make it!

    ReplyDelete